Second Half Show Secures Swinton Tie

Keighley Cougars 54-28 Barrow Raiders Report by Joshua Chapman (@Chapalar) in association with A1 Stairlifts.

A dominant second half showing by the Cougars was enough to overcome Barrow and secure a trip to Swinton in Round Five of the Tetley’s Challenge Cup.

Six second half tries allowed the Cougars control of the game in which they looked the better side throughout despite a scare in the first half.

The Cougars dominance in the opening exchanges finally paid off when Paul March passed into the hands of Richie Barnett who touched down in the corner.

The Raiders found themselves in the lead against the run of play with Dalton Grant and Liam Campbell both touching down for the visitors.

Danny Lawton went over from a cross field play before Paul White fantastically took a Handforth chip from the restart and ran round three defenders to go in under the posts.

A sublime piece of skill by March saw him offload without looking to James Craven with the full back narrowly avoiding touch to go in the corner.

Craven would have had a second shortly before the interval but the referee controversially pulled play back for a penalty, which Ian Mort converted to reduce the gap to six points.

Scott Law began an explosive second half touching down next to the posts after lovely play by Brendon Rawlins and Paul Handforth cut through the Cumbrian sides defence.

The visiting line was took advantage off again when Paul March cut through one defender before turning through a tackle to get over on his return from suspension.

These came either side of Barrow managing to cut the gap back to six when a great offload allowed Andrew Dawson in next to the posts.

Keighley then went out of reach for Bobby Goulding’s side when Brendon Rawlins took a quick tap and went through seven defenders to get over, knocking Scott Turner flat out in the process.

Ross Peltier then took advantage of the worsening Barrow outfit when he cut through a gap before powering through for would be tacklers to get under the sticks.

Liam Campbell grabbed a consolation prior to Sean Hesketh scoring in similar fashion to Peltier and the ‘Rocketman’ Barnett wrapping it up with his second of the afternoon.

The Raiders had the final say when Grant strolled through a sleeping Cougars side to go over for his second of the high scoring affair.

Yorkshire Times Man of the Match – Paul Handforth – A dominant display by the scrum half universally known as Tiger saw him control the Cougars in attack and take a firm grasp on the game which eventually overran a lacklustre Barrow side.

Cougars: Craven, Barnett, Lawton, Haley, White, Jones, Handforth, Shickell, Haigh, Hesketh, Lynam, Rawlins, March. Interchanges: Law, Jode Sheriffe, Lee, Peltier.

Raiders: Mort, Turner, Shaw, Wiper, Grant, Speakman, Campbell, Jones, Govin, Morrison, Harrison, Bullock, Toal. Interchanges: Burke, Dawson, Marwood, Dengate.

One thought on “Second Half Show Secures Swinton Tie

  1. Great report but just a comment about the performance of Referee Mr. D.Merrick. After last week’s abysmal officiating against Sheffield Eagles when he failed to spot more than a dozen forward passes in the first half I was horrified to see him making a second appearance within a week at Cougar Park. Can someone explain WHY in two successive weeks here he failed to penalize a single offside at the play-the-ball against any one of the four competing teams over 160 minutes of play?

Leave a Reply