Reserves Defeated On Day One

Keighley Cougars Reserves 14-84 St Helens Reserves Match Report by Joshua Chapman (@JRCSport)

COUGARS Reserves side opened their new Championship campaign with a heavy home defeat at the hands of St Helens.

Despite competing with their full time Super League opposition throughout the game, injuries took their toll as they finished with just 12 men as the Saints ran in 60 unanswered second half points.

The Saints made the trip to Cougar Park with a young side in age yet it was still filled with bags of first team experience.

But on the day itself, the show was run by Saints half Danny Richardson who has become a regular in the Super League this term.

Yet the early signs were promising for Scott Lindsey’s side as they raced into an early 10 point lead through Gavin Reed and Harry Aaronson.

Saints turned the game on its head with four quick fire tries to turn their deficit into a 14 point advantage with Joe Cator grabbing a brace on the back of efforts from Dave Eccleston and Liam Cooper.

The final say of the half would come from Aaronson who produced a moment of individual quality as he put in a grubber to avoid getting knocked into touch, yet he managed to touch the ball down after it was left to roll dead by the defence.

The second half proved a bridge too far and the Saints turned the screw with Jonah Cunningham, son of Kieron, and Ricky Bailey crossing either side of Cator completing his hat-trick.

England Academy international Brad Clavering powered over from close range with Calvin Wellington weaving through to score the points which took the Saints past the half century mark.

Bailey raced thirty metres to score his second of a Richardson break before hooker Aaron Smith got in on the act racing round to touch down beneath the uprights.

There would still be time though for three more St Helens tries with Wellington sealing his brace as he raced the length of the field to score.

Richardson then grabbed a try for himself before putting Bailey’s third on a plate for him as the referee blew up for full-time.

Leave a Reply